The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Programs (CMS) wants all health care providers to have a National Provider Identifier, including audiologists and speech-language pathologists (NPI). All health care providers and organizations are eligible to receive NPIs. An NPI is required for all health care providers who are deemed protected under HIPAA and all who file claims electronically or use a clearinghouse to bill insurance. Today all the health plans including Medicare, Medicaid and other private health insurance are required to accept and use NPIs.
How Do I Get One?
Getting an NPI is free of cost. NPIs are issued by the National Plan and Provider Enumeration System NPPES). You may apply for an NPI in one of three ways:
- You can simply visit https://nppes.cms.hhs.gov and can easily fill the online application to get it.
- Via a paper application sent directly to the agency that will assign the NPI (the Enumerator). On https://nppes.cms.hhs.gov, a copy of the document, including the Enumerator’s mailing address, is accessible.
- Through a third-party organization, after to whom you have given your permission, may submit an application in an electronic file. This could mean that a professional association or perhaps a health care provider who is your employer could submit an electronic file containing your information and the information of other health care providers.
Can you apply for NPI number without a license?
Audiologists and speech-language pathologists can register for a paper application online for their NPI, free of charge, by applying online or by contacting the NPI Enumerator. Applying online takes less than 5 minutes and the number is released within a few minutes. Clinical Fellows without a state license are to apply for an NPI as a student. A student is described under the NPI system as “An individual who is enrolled in an organized health care education/training program leading to a degree, certification, registration and/or licensure to provide health care.”
If you are an international resident who does not have an SSN or ITIN while filling your NPI application then you must accompany a copy of two proofs of identity. Below we have mentioned the required proof of identification:-
- Birth certificate
- Passport biographical data page (the page with your photo and personal information)
- US driver’s license (if one has been issued)
- US issued State identification card (if one has been issued)